Subheader

FDA SAYS "MAY BE HABIT-FORMING"

Friday, September 24, 2010

Jeffrey Tucker: an Appreciation


Jeffrey Tucker is undoubtedly one of my favorite authors on Mises.org or Lew Rockwell. Whether he's skewering the price-less abyss of health care "markets", outlining his ultra-conservative sartorial philosophy, pondering the virtues of fermented breakfast beverages, or lamenting what the state has done to our toilets, Tucker never fails to entertain, enlighten and enrich. His mixture of social conservativism and political libertarianism has undoubtedly serve to wean me off coercive solutions to social problems.

Not surprisingly, then, I think this address he recently gave about his new book Bourbon for Breakfast (which I hope to soon acquire) is a must-listen piece of audio. I hope it will usher you into the hallowed ranks of Tucker Appreciators.

Bourbon for Breakfast: Living Outside the Statist Quo - Jeffrey A. Tucker - Mises Media(Audio File)

3 comments:

  1. my friend, I always enjoy reading what you have to say, along with being in Europe, it presents another perspective that I do not normally hear.

    I've read 2 of the posts you mentioned, until I ran into this ( I plan on reading the rest, but I figured I stop for a second)

    "Something resembling civilization might return"

    I'm just curious when civilization existed...I don't mean to be snarky, it's just something I've been thinking about alot, especially living in a very, very old city and doing urban design, and thinking about how people connect to place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, my friend. I do think Tucker is being somewhat hyperbolic there, but in general I will say he usually associates civilization with progress created by technological advances and commerce, while state regulation, because it asks us to forgo improved technologies (such as five-gallon toilets...) is usually a force for de-civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article, therefore, is pretty typical: http://mises.org/daily/4725

    ReplyDelete